Peace Corps Week 2017
February 25, 2017 Leave a comment
Peace Corps Week commemorates President Kennedy’s establishment of the Peace Corps on March 1, 1961. During this annual event, the Peace Corps community celebrates all the ways that Peace Corps makes a difference at home and abroad and renews its commitment to service.
This year the Peace Corps Week theme is Highlighting Hospitality: How does your Peace Corps Country Make People Feel Welcome? Volunteers are often humbled by the hospitality of their Peace Corps country. Share those traditions of hospitality and feelings of welcome with the world this Peace Corps Week.
In 2017 there are many ways you can join in the celebration.
- Watch the winning videos in the Peace Corps Week Video Challenge.
- Lend your social media voice to the Peace Corps Thunderclap.
- Share messages or traditions of welcomes from around the world on social media. Use #hostcountryhello and tag @PCThirdGoal.
- Attend a Peace Corps Week event near you
Returned Peace Corps Volunteers and RPCV Groups
Be sure to tell us about your planned events in the RPCV Portal so we can send you promotional items to share at your events and a Peace Corps t-shirt.
- Host a film festival to showcase the Video Challenge finalist videos. We’ll share the link to the videos here when it’s available.
- Host an International Festival.
- Host a Story Slam with the theme of welcome or hospitality.
- Write a blog post about traditions of hospitality in your host country. Share your blog on Facebook and tag @PCThirdGoal and #PCW2017.
- How do you say “welcome” in your host country’s language? Share it on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram tagging #hostcountryhello and #PCW2017.
- Connect with a classroom and teach U.S. students about traditions of hospitality in your host country.
- Host a returned Peace Corps Volunteer in your classroom or community group to teach your learners about their host country’s traditions.
- Connect your learners with a Peace Corps Volunteer in the field through Correspondence Match.
- Participate in a webinar that connects your classroom with Peace Corps Volunteers.
- Bring the Peace Corps experience to your learners by teaching a lesson plan or activity from the World Wise Schools resource library.